June 12, 2009: Dignitaries Honor Prominent Minnesota African American
Fredrick McGhee (1861-1912) was a National Civil Rights Activist and Civic Leader of Tremendous Influence and Accomplishment:
- First African American Attorney Admitted to Minnesota Bar and MN Supreme Court
- Member of Niagara Movement which led to Founding of NAACP
- Founder of NAACP St. Paul Branch
- Founder of St. Peter Claver Catholic Church
St. Paul, MN. (June 11, 2009). WESTERN BANK is sponsoring a community celebration to honor Fredrick McGhee whose home resided on the very spot where Western Bank's Headquarter Building stands today in the Frogtown / Rondo area of St. Paul. The Bank commissioned visual artist Seitu Jones to design a plaque honoring McGhee that will be mounted on the front of Western Bank's building at 663 University Avenue in St. Paul.
Dedication ceremony will begin at 5 p.m. Speakers include:
- Yusef Mgeni (great nephew of Fredrick McGhee), Saint Paul Public Schools, Director of the Office of Superintendent/Office of Educational Equity.
- Chris Coleman, St. Paul Mayor
- Reverend Gill Ford, NAACP Regional Director. Has oversight of 25 states.
- Honorable Edward Toussaint, Jr., Chief Judge, Minnesota Court of Appeals
- Tyrone Terrell, St. Paul Human Rights Director. Also one of the conveners of the African American Leadership Council (AALC) in St. Paul.
- Melvin Carter III, St. Paul City Council Member
- Father Kevin McDonough, St. Peter Claver Catholic Church
- Mihailo Temali, President & CEO, Neighborhood Development Center
- William Sands, Chairman, Western Bancshares
- Julie Causey, Chairman, Western Bank
Come enjoy Big Daddy's BBQ and live music by Walker West as part of the celebration!
Location: Western Bank's parking lot, 663 University Avenue, St. Paul, MN 55104
About Western Bank
Founded in 1915, Western Bank is an independent, community bank dedicated to meeting the specialized needs of businesses and offering a full range of services to all of our customers. The bank has five geographically dispersed locations serving customers throughout the Twin Cities metropolitan area. The corporate office still serves the original St. Paul, Minnesota neighborhood in which it started, with other offices in Edina, Maplewood, Mounds View, and Oakdale. Western Bank has assets of nearly $340 million and provides a full line of deposit and loan services to businesses, nonprofit organizations and individuals. Western Bank has always found ways to help customers, to improve the quality of life in our communities, to return profit to shareholders and to care for its employees. Visit www.western-bank.com for more information.
Information Regarding Forward Looking Statements:
This press release contains forward-looking statements. The statements regarding Western Bank contained in this release that are not historical in nature, particularly those that utilize terminology such as "may," "will," "should," "likely," "expects," "anticipates," "estimates," "believes" or "plans," or comparable terminology, are forward-looking statements based on current expectations and assumptions, and entail various risks and uncertainties that could cause actual results to differ materially from those expressed in such forward-looking statements. Western Bank undertakes no obligation to correct or update any forward-looking statements, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.
# # #
Go back to Press Releases